The Easter Dragon

Today was the Easter hat parade at Mr. H's school and this year the parents were asked to help make the children's hats at home.

I'd asked Mr. H a few times what sort of hat he wanted to make and kept getting the same answer: a dragon. Apparently he'd been inspired by a dragon toy at a friend's house and this was what he really wanted to create.

A drawing of the fierce dragon for inspiration and papier-mache materials ready to go!

A drawing of the fierce dragon for inspiration and papier-mache materials ready to go!

I asked Mr. H to draw a picture of the dragon and went to look up papier-mache recipes online (turns out flour and water is all you need!). We started this last Wednesday afternoon during his free afternoon with mummy.

Base layer of the dragon's body complete.

Base layer of the dragon's body complete.

We found a baseball hat to use as the base and mummy blew up a balloon inside the hat (plus a little bit extra so it could fit over top later) to represent the head during our construction. Then we drew a line around the balloon with a Sharpie so we knew where the bottom of the hat was. Note: putting the balloon in a small mixing bowl on the table helped to keep things steady and easy to manage!

Adding the neck and head. The neck was glued using regular white school glue and allowed to dry completely.

Adding the neck and head. The neck was glued using regular white school glue and allowed to dry completely.

Next we rolled up our sleeves and glooped up strips of newspaper with the flour and water paste to make the base of the hat which was the dragon's body. It took a few days to dry, then on the weekend we cut down a toilet roll for the neck and glued it to the body. Loosely balled up newspaper was stuffed in the top for the head and then the whole head and neck were covered in papier-mache, taking care to reinforce the neck where it joins the body. 

The wings (with claws and more spikes) were cut out of cardboard from the recycling bin. Mr. H drew a picture of the wings he wanted.

The wings (with claws and more spikes) were cut out of cardboard from the recycling bin. Mr. H drew a picture of the wings he wanted.

Mr. H really wanted this dragon to be fierce and have spikes coming out of his head so while the head was still wet we inserted three toothpicks into the head of the dragon and then carefully papier-mached around them to create the spikes.

Mr. H decided on a red and "gold" colour scheme.

Mr. H decided on a red and "gold" colour scheme.

Luckily there was no Beavers this week due to half-term so last night so as soon as we got home from school we started the painting so that it could dry while we worked on homework and dinner. Mr. H painted and mummy cut up some felt to cover the brim of the baseball hat and also make the tail. Again with more spikes. Once everything was dry, Mr. H embellished the dragon using different coloured Sharpies to draw a chick, a horse, an Easter egg, lightning bolt, and various other designs. 

The finished Easter dragon hat in all it's glory ready for the parade at school!

The finished Easter dragon hat in all it's glory ready for the parade at school!

The wings and feet were glued to the dragon's body and then everything dried overnight before being bulldog clipped to the baseball hat base this morning. Phew!