FO Friday: Spinning Edition

One of the things I took the time to do over the holidays was update my stash on Ravelry and make sure that any new yarn purchases were logged and that my projects were all up to date.

Apparently I started spinning this little braid of SweetGeorgia Superwash BFL fibre back in April 2014. Colourway is Spring Garden.

Apparently I started spinning this little braid of SweetGeorgia Superwash BFL fibre back in April 2014. Colourway is Spring Garden.

But you know how once you get started organising something you seem to keep going? Well, I did. And it meant that two days later I had completely logged and photographed my entire spinning stash. Needless to say I won't be adding any fibre to the stash this year - there's more than enough there to keep me going for quite a while! 

Letting the bobbins rest before finishing. I debated between plying them or leaving them as singles.

Letting the bobbins rest before finishing. I debated between plying them or leaving them as singles.

It was inspiring to see all the goodies in there and as I'd barely touched my wheel in 2014 I'm making it one of my goals for 2015 - to spin more. So I dusted off my trusty Sidekick and spun up the last 50g of superwash BFL that I started earlier in 2014 onto a second bobbin. It didn't take long, and it was lovely to peddle and have all the muscle memory come back with my spinning.

Happily, while I was waiting for the bobbins to rest before plying, Rachel came over wearing a brand new shawl that she's designed and knit in her own handspun and I decided it would be perfect for my newly spun yarn! We debated plying versus not - the Spring Garden colourway has lovely lengths of green and purple and white that I'd like to leave unmarled. Since I've never finished any of my handspun as singles before (and really, it was the only way I was going to get the needed yardage) that's the way I decided to go.

All paired up and ready to go!

All paired up and ready to go!

The two bobbins resulted in approximately 390 yards of fingering weight yarn (about 18-20 WPI). I plan on pairing them with some 100% linen from my stash for the lace border in a complementary mossy green. Can't wait to get started on this!

And with extra BKFF thanks to Rachel for sending over an advance copy of the pattern!